Saturday 30 March 2013

Female Kingfisher - Leasowes

I went to see if I could find the Leasowes Park, kingfisher. I had now seen it a few times at early evening around the bottom pool, so was expecting to see it sat on a perch there. Wrong! So I followed the path up to the other pools. I went up and down a couple times. Not sure how far it is, but it's quite a climb. Then coming down I spotted the kingfisher sat on the wall by a pool, at a place I had never seen it before. I grabbed my camera to get a shot but I was too close and it flew off, swooping up and then down over the wall, stunning flight! So I thought it was off to the bottom pool, so I went down there, but as I got there, it went back past me, up to the higher pools. So I walked up the path to the higher pools. I got up to the very top pool and thought in the very distance where the water fall joins the pool, I could see the kingfisher. It was fishing in the pool, right by the water fall splashing. I took a few photo's from a distance but then it must have seen me so it flew to another tree, swooping around in a big arc. I followed it and it flew to another pool. Now on some of the pools there is a fence, across the pool. The kingfisher has to fly up and over these fences to get to the next pool. By each fence is a foot path and then the fence has a gate or opening so you can follow the footpath down. Well I was so close following this kingfisher it did not go up and over the fence, it went along the footpath and turned left at the gate/opening and then down the path. I was amazed by this, the fact it followed the path, guess it's the same as following a stream but also it turned at a right angle to turn left through the gate/opening and follow the path down. It was again some stunning flying. There was something different about this kingfisher. The fact it was not on the bottom pool and the way it was flying over and fishing the top pools. I found it again by another pool, this time it was sat on the metal guard for the drain. It could only have been there for a minute or so before it dived in and caught a fish. It was only a tiny fish as it did not have to stun it much before it swallowed it. Having remained at a distance, I got a photo of it with this fish. I then decided it was time to go home as it was getting late. When I got home I looked at the photo's. It was a female kingfisher. I had heard there was a pair on this patch and now I had seen both. Though not together. I must amit I had become blaise about the Leasowes kingfisher as it had a good patch and plenty of food, but this sighting with the stunning flying and quick fishing, made me realise again what a fascinating creature this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment