Monday 5 November 2018

Birmingham Kingfisher Update November 2018

Birmingham Kingfisher Update November 2018;
So the Kingfisher return continues;
On the River Rea the Kingfisher has been tricky to find repeatedly on the Selly Park section. I took a look one weekend along the Lifford Lane and where the Rea crosses the canal and there were a couple there.
Last Saturday the Kingfisher was on the stretch down from the Bourn joining.
I then took a look Sunday and heard repetitive calling from the Bourn joining. On taking a closer look two Kingfisher flew out from the bank.
Then close to Dad's Lane there was another Kingfisher in the hidden section near where they've nested before. It was in the bushes over the river and flew up and over the bush.

These Kingfisher on the Rea could be the two I saw on the Bourn early one morning. They were chasing and calling. Before that I had seen one over the Bourn near the Cadbury works.

Meanwhile on the Bourn Brook, I've seen two chasing along there by the blue and grey bridges. A single Kingfisher is now pretty regular along the Bourn Brook from the New Fosse Way roundabout to the blue bridge.
I've seen one as far along as Woodgate Valley but always difficult to find there.

Back to the River Rea, I saw a Kingfisher on Merecroft Pool a couple times. It was very vocal.
Further along at the end of the River Rea, I found two Kingfisher where it joins the River Tame. I've not visited this area of the River Tame that much this year but during mid summer and late summer I saw a Kingfisher there so maybe they were there over Spring and Summer.

The other regular sight of course was the River Cole at Trittiford where I know the pair of Kingfisher had one brood of chicks fledge, plus I'm pretty sure another later brood fledged but I was away during the week so missed them.

The other Kingfisher I saw a few times was on the River Cole at Babbs Mill.
Then I saw one at Meriden Park.


No comments:

Post a Comment