Saturday 11 October 2014

River Cole, Birmingham Kingfishers

The River Cole in Birmingham in 2014 has been good for kingfisher. Not the kingfisher country park section, not seen any there in 2014 though there is one at Meriden park. I found a couple together early in the year on the River Cole next to Sarehole Mill https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/14087905403/
and then saw them a month later in exactly the same place. I saw them further along the river where I think they had a nest. Worse though was I saw a mink right next to where I think the nest was. I saw them chase off another kingfisher. Or one adult chasing off two. Then another weekend I saw one kingfisher chasing off another kingfisher. I assume this was juvenile kingfisher being chased away. Since the breeding season I've now seen the lone kingfisher further along the river. I guess it has chosen the stretch which is the best fishing section. The female could be further along the river now.

No comments:

Post a Comment